December 20th in ALGOL history - 1958 & 1968... HAPPY 40th/50th BIRTHDAYs
 Announcing the Algol68-user mailing list - The ALGOL-BULLETIN for users.
|Note that today on 20th December 1968 in Munich the
ALGOL 68's Final Report was ratified by UNESCO's IFIP
|So join me in wishing:
HAPPY 40th BIRTHDAY to ALGOL 68, and 50th birthday to ALGOL 58!
About this list: THIS is list for discussion of and questions about using ALGOL 68 from users and students. Or anyone interested in giving ALGOL 68 a "spin".
Traditionally ALGOL 68 compiler writers shared notes and announced new releases at: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.misc
Marcel van der Veer has available a wonderful ALGOL 68 interpretor at:
This interpretor is also available at sourceforge together with the ELLA ALGOL 68RS translator, check out the downloads at:
Both these run on Fedora Linux. Algol68g also runs on Vista. Also note that for 2009 there are three new projects:
- first is to port Algol 68 to:
- The next is to interface Algol 68 to GTK.
- The next to resurrect ELLA from the Defence Research Agency.
If you have hands on with Symbian, OSX, GTK or ELLA then do join in.
Also: If you have (or want) any ALGOL 68 books, ALGOL 68 software media, ALGOL 68 application source code, ALGOL bug reports, then please share the details here.
Currently I am looking for the transput for ALGOL 68RS (from DRA). If anyone has this please let me know.
More resources at sourceforge include downloads for weekend hackers: Each distribution includes a User Manual (A4 size) suitable for interested student learning ALGOL 68 for the first time.
- algol68g-mk15-0.8b (interpretor)
- Algol 68 Genie User Manual - by Marcel van der Veer - 410 Pages
- algol68toc-1.8.8d (translator)
- Programming Algol 68 Made Easy - by Sian Leitch - 350 pages.
- The RS Compiler for ALGOL 68 - Published 1978 - Defence Research Agency, Malvern, UK - 86 pages.
EnjoyNevilleDNZ 09:37, 20 December 2008 (EST)